A few months ago, Austin & I had a lengthy discussion about the relationship, if you will, between the TV and the fireplace.
Trendy as it is, I am not sold on the TV above the fireplace. Not just the aesthetics of it, there are many concerns in my mind.
- Neck pain – the center of the TV would be 8′ high – certainly not eye-level when sitting down
- Outdated electronics – the I.T. industry is ever-changing. If TV styles change significantly, replacing the TV to fit on the same mounting hardware may be difficult
- Mixing electronics & fire – there’s something amiss about mounting thousand $$$ electronics a few mere feet above a roaring fire
- Distracting – the TV and the fireplace are competing for your attention as the centerpiece of the room
- Boring Mantel Decor – I imagine the fireplace mantel with family photos and trinkets above it. Instead, a big black screen steals the show.
So obviously I’ve made a case against the TV over the fireplace. My vote is for a big corner fireplace, with the TV on one side and a big window looking out to the backyard on the other side.
What’s your vote, TV above the Fireplace or elsewhere?